The Governing Body is responsible in law, for monitoring the work of the school on behalf of the community. The members are appointed in a number of ways; some are nominated by the Local Authority; parents and staff elect representatives. Two Governors posts are also members of the NTLT. Other Individual Governors are also co-opted by the Governing Body to match the skills needed to strengthen the Governing Body. Members normally serve for 4 years. Full Governor’s meetings are held half-termly. There are also a number of Sub-Committees that meet as required. Minutes of full Governor’s meetings are available for inspection in school.
Structure and remit of the Governing body
School governors are people who want to make a positive contribution to children’s education. They come from all sections of the community and all walks of life.
The Governing body has 3 core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and pupils.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
The Chair of Governors is Mr. Keith Oliver and the Vice Chair of Governors is Miss. Pat Hunter.
Hazlewood Governing Body Structure
Roles and Responsibilities
- Safeguarding: Keith Oliver & Sarah Welford
- Safer Recruitment: Keith Oliver & Patricia Hunter
- Mental Health and Well-Being: Eleanor Whitaker
- SEND: Michelle Beattie
- PE & Sports Premium: Sarah Welford
- Pupil Premium: Helen Hayes
- Policies: Dianne Imray
- Curriculum: Patricia Hunter & Helen Hayes
- Early Years: Sarah Welford & Dianne Imray
- Key Stage 1: Michelle Beattie & Alison Rutherford
- Key Stage 2: Eleanor Whitaker & James Dixon
Governor's Allowances >
Instrument of Government >
Governor's Details and Interests >
- Headteacher Performance: Keith Oliver, Patricia Hunter, Sarah Welford & Eleanor Whitaker
- Staffing and Finance: Patricia Hunter, Keith Oliver, Sarah Welford, Eleanor Whitaker & Michelle Beattie
- Standards and Performance: Sarah Welford, Eleanor Whitaker, Keith Oliver & Michelle Beattie